Each year for our Applique Retreat, we have a "challenge". This year, it was Christmas Ornaments which have some element of applique. I was in A.C. Moore and found a piece of cut wood in the shape of a butterfly and thought that would make a nice design. Using wool for the background, I then applied Ultrasuede for the design, since it was easier to cut. I made two of these, so that the back is identical to the front. Then I added 4 dimensional flowers to each side, and topped them off with some beads.
This was supposed to be an ornament exchange, but everyone spent so much time making each ornament, the ladies decided to keep their own.