Royal School of Needlework-- 2015 Courses

Saturday, September 14, 2013

To Embroider, or Not to Embroider

I had to think this one through.
I usually do not embroider stems.
Then, I saw some people whom I greatly respect doing the embroidery thing, and I thought I'd try it. I looked into a few choice stitches and decided on the heavy chain stitch. (Link)


The red fabric in this photo was something I impulsively picked up, and for years I wondered how I would ever use it.  I decided to use it on the little flowers between the triangles.

4 comments:

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Beautiful work Margaret. The embroidered stems turned out wonderful.

Heather said...

Thanks for the info on using this embroidery stitch. I used a regular chain stitch for my stems on the little flowers on LE but will give this a try in another part. I am having back surgery this week and may have to start stitching in bed too!

gailss said...

The stem stitching on those flowers are just perfect Margaret and love that red fabric.
Gail

Kay Dungavell said...

Your stems look great. Thanks for the great link to the embroidery videos. I do want to add embroidery to my LE. - and I am not a "real" embroiderer. So I will need to go back often to remind me the howto of these techniques.